I was born in Riobamba (Ecuador) and grew in Gualaquiza, a small town in the Ecuadorian amazonian. After I moved to Cuenca, where I got my bachelor’s degree in Electronics Engineering. I then completed a Master’s Program in Robotics and Manufacturing Technology at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain.
I have worked for thirteen years as a professor in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Universidad Politécnica Salesiana. I have been working to improve the higher education system in Ecuador by promoting the development of scientific research and graduate programs at the university. I supported local development by working with Ministry of Foreign Trade, Industrialization, Fisheries and Competitiveness (MICIP) as part of the Global Small Business and Sectorial Development Programs.
At Universidad Politécnica Salesiana, I lead the creation of the Industrial Robotics Lab and Rapid Prototyping Lab with the objective of introducing new technologies and innovations in small bussiness.
I enjoy facilitating collaboration between students, professors and researchers, thus I was the General Chair of Andean Region International Conference (ANDESCON), 2012 VI – IEEE. I also participated as member of Technical Program Chairs of IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Computer Aided System Engineering (APCASE) conference (2015).
I am interested in science and technology development in Ecuador, thus I worked with Elena Duran and Diego Granja in the development of a community program for inspiring children to get excited about science and technology. We use robotics and games to teach science and technology, and ultimately change negative stereotypes related to gender and careers. We implemented a pilot project that was adopted by Universidad Politécnica Salesiana and is now shared with hundres of kids every year through outreach programs. You can see more of this project in www.pequeciencia.ups.edu.ec (spanish only)
- Secretariat for Higher Education, Science, Technology and Innovation. (2011 and 2013)
- Foundation Center for Distance Education for Economic and Technological Development for the graduate course “Management of University-Industry Relations”. (2006).
- Organization of Ibero-American States (OEI) for the course of Specialist in Social Studies of Science and Technology Innovation – Technological Innovation. (2005)
- Universidad Politécnica Salesiana for the Master’s course in Information Technology for Manufacturing at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid. (2003)
- Secretary of IEEE Ecuador Section (2014).
- Volunteer teacher for adult people.
- Social work with indigenous children.